Friday, January 4, 2019

New Year’s Cookies

IMG_0845(1)When I was growing up, Mom would make these each day on New Year’s Day.  They were also a big treat when we’d attend the Annual MCC Sale that was held here at Fairview.  About 3 years ago I was craving them so bad and Mom hadn’t been able to make them for several years due to her health so I decided to try and make them myself. for the first time.  I’ve always been leery about trying anything with yeast in it but decided to give it a try. They turned out surprisingly really good and my family loved them as much as I did and have requested them since then every year.  We now make a double batch each New Years' Day and deliver them to all our neighbors too to wish them a Happy New Year!  It’s become a fun tasty tradition! 

I’ve tried a couple different recipes I’ve found but my Mom uses the one from Lillian Nickel in the MB Church Cookbook and I’ve used that one too and it seems to always turn out the best.
 
2 1/2 T. dry granular yeast
1/2 c. warm water
2 c. milk, scalded
3 eggs (beaten)
1/3 c. cooking oil
2/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (optional)
About 5 c. flour (maybe a little more if needed)
2-3 cups raisins

Mix the yeast in the warm water and let it soften while you beat the eggs and measure out the rest of the ingredients.  Then mix all ingredients into the yeast mixture, using enough flour to make it a very soft, spoonable dough.  Let rise until double in bulk, then fry by spoonfuls in hot oil or shortening until as brown as desired and cooked through.  Drain (I put mine on paper towels to soak up the grease) and then roll in granulated sugar.  They are so YUMMY and best eaten warm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment