Thursday, July 17, 2014

Velda’s Crock Dill Pickles

IMG_0809Last year I made my first ever crock of fresh dill pickles after my Mother-in-law gave me her recipe and showed me how to do it.  I’m hooked on them now and have already made two batches this summer out of cucumbers from my garden.  They are SO YUMMY!  They never last long around here.  Between Winston and I, we finish them off quickly.  Smile

  • 6 cups water
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1 tsp. mustard seed
  • 2 cups white vinegar
  • 1 clove garlic
  • Dill Weed (preferably fresh out of the garden) – Enough to put some on the bottom and top of the crock
  • 1 large or 2 small grape leaves (helps keep pickles crisp)

Wash cucumbers well.  Put garlic clove and dill weed in bottom of crock, then fill crock with small to medium cucumbers.  Put another layer of dill and then the grape leaf or leaves on top.  Bring your water, vinegar, salt and mustard seed to a boil, then pour over the cucumbers covering them.  Place a plate over the cukes and set a jar of water on top to hold it down.  I don’t have a crock so I use my crock pot and then just turn the lid upside down which works perfectly to hold the pickles down into the water. 

They will be ready in 3 days or sometimes the smaller ones are ready to enjoy the 2nd day.  ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment